Posted by Steve
Man, for like a week now I kept telling myself ‘I’ll post tonight,’ and before I know it it’s been almost two weeks since the last post. With spring training workouts underway, I have to say I’m ashamed. And look at the sidebar. It still says 2007 Roster (at least it did when I wrote this). What kind of bush-league, abecedarian, catechumen, half-baked, second rate, smattering establishment am I trying to run here (fun with thesauruses!)?
Anyway, we’re finally past that point where there isn’t much to talk about. And we have the perfect storm: Things to talk about+Extended period of time between posts+Steve on plenty of caffeine after a full week of work=THOUGHT CORNUCOPIA.
Without further ado, let’s get this club bumpin.
- My BA Prospect Handbook arrived today, so it shouldn’t be tough to guess the topic of my next post. I haven’t had a chance to look through it yet, but stay tuned. Jay Bruce is the featured cover player, but another player featured is Dodgers’ über-lefty Clayton Kershaw. The release of my BP Manual is delayed, so that won’t arrive for probably another week or so. 😦
- Yo’s injury. Heh. Didn’t take long for that pitching surplus to get a little thinner. Obviously the good thing is it was just a minor surgery and it sounds like he’s already feeling decent. It sounds like he’ll miss three starts at the worst. I’m still hoping for a pre-opening day Vargas trade, but that may now be in doubt.
- Branyan the Manyan is back! This, of course, means brewerfan.net is in an uproar. If you frequented the boards a few years ago when the Brewers last had Russell Branyan, you know the controversy he created. As goofy as it sounds, I honestly do not believe there could be a more polarizing player in baseball for the members of that site than Russell Branyan. Most of the posters there are believers of 3TO, but but some of those who don’t can’t stand the guy. I can’t say I blame them. He’s sort of an Adam Dunn/Jim Thome lite, so when you have a group of people practically worshiping the guy, I imagine I’d be annoyed too if I didn’t care for that type of player. When a thread for a minor league deal is on its seventh page after two days, something unusual is happening. By the way, here are some of my favorite lines from that thread:
- I’m not even sure what to type now. Think I’m gonna do a bunch of push ups.
- There’s only one thing to do: bring back the sunglasses avatar.
- Branyan >>>>>>> strikeouts. Russ Branyan owns the world.
- My prediction is that this thread gets locked on page 24.
- I request a minimum of 5 Branyan bobblehead days
- Branyan makes me blush and giggle.
- Well hopefully he gets hurt. I can’t believe the love affair with this guy. I was so happy when we released him on January 31, 2006.
- Greeeaaat…………….. Now I can read a new thread everyday for the rest of the year about this mope tearing up AAA and we need to call him up – NOW. And he should be batting clean up , or lead off , or pitching, or pinch running, or bull pen catcher.
- Branyan is sort of a cult icon on Brewerfan. He reminds me of that girl you dated in high school. She was very pretty and you really wanted to get to know her. Then you dated her for a while and realized all of her flaws and how you could do much better. Ten years later you run into her and all those old good feeling come up again.
- I want to change the line at the bottom of the board pages that says “Powered by KickApps, Inc.” to “Powered by Russell Branyan”.
- If we get 6-8 inches more snow this weekend I am going to make the kids make a Snowmanyan in the yard.
- One of these days I’m going to make a full post about Ben Sheets and his future with the Brewers. It’s very complicated with his past health issues, and it will obviously be a huge decision.
- This pitching staff situation is going to be really interesting. I have a feeling people are going to be pretty surprised by who starts the season in the minors. It seems like Manny Parra is all but sure of starting in Nashville, and with recent comments by Ned Yost I wouldn’t be shocked if Carlos Villanueva shared the same fate. More to come on this as well…
I have to run out now, so I’ll cut it off here. Sorry it’s a bit short, but I promise to pick up the frequency of my posts. And who knows? At some point I imagine Dan will resurface.
By the way, as far as the move itself, it’s hard not to like signing Branyan to a minor league deal. Obviously the Brewers are right-handed heavy, so it makes plenty of sense. Also, I like it because I enjoy 480 foot homers.